Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Holes In Her Head

A little background: M strongly dislikes going to the dentist. It is a traumatic experience to just get her teeth cleaned, so when our dentist said she needed a filling removed and a cavity filled underneath it, we were all apprehensive. My brother (a dentist) offered to give it a whirl. In the meantime, M started the "When can I get my ears pierced?" mantra. We decided that if she could handle the dentist, THEN she could get them done. I don't do a lot of bribery, but this seemed worth it! She did really well for Uncle Bri yesterday, so today after school, I picked her up and we headed to the mall...

Our last pictures of M sans holes:










And then, it was all over quickly! Two piercers did it at once, as I wasn't sure she'd let them do the second one if they did it one at a time. She let out some sharp yelps, but then she was fine. She positively floated through the mall afterward, telling anyone who would listen that she just got them done.





Mom's note: I have to admit, this made me queasy and a bit teary, but I'm not sure if it was the thought of permanently piercing her perfect body, or the realization that she's growing up! I know plenty of folks who pierce ears much younger, but for us, this was one of her first rites of passage. I don't even want to think about other "firsts" that still await her/us! E & I sat down and looked at both of their baby books today. That was probably not the best timing! ;) Speaking of E, she's been funny about this whole thing. On one hand, she was totally pouting today, saying, "Now you and M will be the fanciest and I won't be," but she wanted nothing to do with coming along and watching M get it done, saying it was too scary. That girl is a study in contradictions, I tell ya!

4 comments:

Bri-onic Man said...

Shoulda done the piercing with the nitrous on . . . :-) Come to think of it, lots of things in life would be better that way. Glad she did well (for everything!).

gjacobsen said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MAREN!!! You are a very brave girl! Now I know something I can get you for your birthday. Take good care of those ears, so they will heal, without any problems. My Mom pierced my ears with a huge needle and suture....your experience sounds a LOT better! It was fun to see the before and after pictures...Love you LOTS, Gramma

Katie said...

AWw, she's getting all grown up! I had to wait until I was 14 to get mine pierced!

Anonymous said...

LUCKEEEE!! I had to wait til I was almost 16, my stepmom convinced my dad that it was going to be fine. My mom never had hers pierced but her sisters all did and their's were all very traumatic experiences (infections..etc..) Mine went swimmingly tho (modern technology..who'd a thunk) and my only regret was never having those soft earlobes without the little lump in the middle. I've told my girls that they could get theirs done when they are 8 but Im curious if they will even want to. Maybe they'll have to talk to M first..