Saturday, March 28, 2009

Wowza!

Our friends, neighbors, and M's school really came through for her recycling denim project! Check out her "tower!" We kinda lost count after 70 pairs...














M bagged 'em all up this morning and this afternoon (after swimming lessons, hip hop, lunch, and Costco) made the trek to Tacoma Mall's Build-a-Bear to drop them off (they are serving as a drop off site - and paying for the shipping! - this weekend). It took us two trips from the car, and of course, I parked waaaay too far away from the store, but hey, it made it more memorable that way, right?!

I am really raising some sweetheart girls. As we were walking back to the BAB store for the second time, I said, "Has there been anything you've seen here at the mall that you want to go look at?" and M said, "I saw some WebKinz in a Hallmark." I agreed we could go look at them. Then, in the BAB store, E said, "Can we look around here for a second?" I said, "Sure." They conferred for a minute, then very, very sweetly and sincerely said, "Mom, do you think we could make something to share?" I agreed, 'cause really, how many 9 and 5 yr olds could go in that place and not even whine/beg/plead - and they didn't at all! M said, "E, we need to pick one down here in this section, where they don't cost as much." It was just heartwarming to see her be conscientious about that, and not just all about what she wanted! They quickly agreed on a cute doggie. We tossed around some names, and then I suggested they call him "Levi," since we were there 'cause of the denim project. And, then, of course, they spied some jeans for him, and what's a mom to do?! (I just realized I didn't take a pic of him in his jeans! Sorry he's nudie in these pics!) I have to say that the lady doing the stuffing was awesome with the girls and took lots of time to congratulate and thank them for bringing in the jeans to recycle. They were just so cute to share him and fluff him and take turns holding him. I wonder how long that will last?! ;) One of my favorite parts were all the hugs and sincere "THANK YOU, MOMs!" I got from them...without even provoking them! Awwww, shucks.

I did get out of there for under $20, so I figured it was my special way of thanking BAB for footing the shipping (can you imagine how much that would have cost me?!) and for supporting this cool recycling effort. I hope "Levi" will be a tangible reminder to the girls that yes, kids can make a difference and that recycling is a way to improve lives and our planet! Shout out to Nat'l Geographic for Kids, too, for running this project! My girls looooooove that magazine, BTW, if you are looking for a great gift for any elementary-aged kid in your life...










5 comments:

Rachael said...

You have such good girls!

Becca said...

Wow, that is great you got so many jeans. Yeah, for Maren. Also, you girls are great. I can't wait to visit them sometime. You know they learned it from a great mom though:)

Restless Mom said...

You're such a great mom! And how proud you must be of your girls. I hope one day I can grow up to be just like you. :)

Alexis said...

Way to go M! This is an awesome project you took on. I am so impressed you made the school anouncement and collected all those jeans.

And I love that photo of E standing next to the tower! (How tall are you? Oh, about 70 pairs of jeans tall.)

gjacobsen said...

Grandad here...

That is quite a Tower of Trousers...
A Deluge of Denim...
A Pile of Pants...!

Good job Maren, and mom....

Love, Grandad