Monday, March 23, 2009

M's Big School Announcement

M got to make an announcement over the intercom to the whole entire school this morning! (Sorry that I forgot and turned the camera sideways...it's the audio I was trying to capture, anyway, right?!) She has asked her school, everyone in our condo complex, and several of our friends at church to donate their used denim so she can donate it all to National Geographic for Kids, who are 1) trying to set a world record for most recycled denim and 2) partnering to recycle them into home insulation for houses affected by recent natural disasters. We are proud of her enthusiasm and hope we get lotsa ratty, old denim for the project! We are turning it all in to Build-a-Bear this weekend (I didn't want to pay to ship it all, but they are serving as a drop-off site just for this weekend). I will have to take pics of her with her final donations, and of her cool poster we made for the school. Goooooo, M!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! Great job! I didn't get to do that until I was in junior high... and it was a Cinco de Mayo historical blurb I read. She has way more passion about denim than I ever did about May. *giggle*

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!! The girl definitely has some newscasting in her future, that was really very impressive!
Im excited to hear more about how her project progresses as well, very cool stuff!

gjacobsen said...

NICE JOB MAREN!!! It was fun to be able to hear your announcement over the intercom. You spoke VERY clearly and with such enthusiasm...I hope you are very successful in collecting jeans. It is a way to recycle that I had never heard of.
Once again, your Gramma & Grandpa are VERY proud of you!!!

HEY,everybody, I'M MAREN'S GRAMMA!!!

Paige said...

Go Dophins! I love her initiative, what a great girl you are raising. I had no idea that denim was being recycled. We need to do that around here too.

Restless Mom said...

very cool! nice job!

an organic pizza place here used recycled denim to insulate their store. first time i had heard of such a thing.

good job, m!