Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mean People Suck (sorry for using my strongest cuss word, but really, I think I'm justified)





Look what P found as he returned to the Park n Ride after completing his shift at work. Yep, somebody smashed both the driver's side windows for no apparent reason. The car is 15 years old and there was nothing in there to take. There was another guy arriving at the same time as P, with a similarly old car, whose same windows were also smashed, and he had some tools stolen. They called the police, but they didn't even come.
So, he arrived home at 2am, after driving the 30 minutes home on the freeway in freezing temperatures. Nice. Our neighbor's garage was wide open and empty, and has been for several days, so thinking he would save the car from moisture, he parked in there, planning to move it first thing in the morning. He should have put a note on her door, but he knew that everyone knew his car and who we were, so he just crawled upstairs and went to bed. She called the towing company! I rushed out there and it wasn't hooked up yet, but the driver said he had to take it, since he had been dispatched. Turns out, the contract with this company states that only the HOA president or secretary are authorized to call them for services. Our pres is really going to bat for us, and we are hoping to get our $242 back! And, no, there will NOT be ANY more cookies for this neighbor!
We were able to get the windows fixed today for over $300. Since it's such an old car, we just have liability insurance. Ouch.
The car was fixed in the same town as M's swimming lessons, so we were able to coordinate picking it up with her lesson times, but I'm not familiar w/that part of town (where the shop is) and I missed the exit I needed, and of course, it's at 4:30...the busiest time...so I call and tell them her name and to tell her I'm in traffic and I'm coming...I park, run (literally) into the building and out to the pool, and...no girl. I run into the showers. No girl. I go back to the pool. Still no girl, go over to the lifeguard office (where I had phoned & spoken to someone). Nobody knows anything. I am trying not to panic, but this is a HUGE facility (the 3rd largest YMCA in the country) and my daughter is somewhere in a swimming suit and towel, but not where I said she should be! Just as I was starting to hyperventilate, the swimming director walked in with her...they had gone to help a boy find his mom. I was just happy that M wasn't upset - sometimes things like that make her really anxious.
We all agreed that "Sometimes, days are just like that. Even in Australia." (Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day).


9 comments:

Restless Mom said...

:( Yes, that stinks. I'm *SO* sorry you had to go through this.

Laura said...

My jaw is gaping! You deserve the biggest gold star sticker created in history for today!!! I am...aghast. Broken car windows DO stink. It happened to Josh about 8 yrs ago (a rear window was smashed..apparently just for fun) and he duct taped it shut (we were newlywed poor) and wrote with a Sharpie marker "Whoever did this sucks." I think it made him feel a teensy bit better. :)

Sorry you had a rough day, you deserve some potstickers and eggrolls tomorrow.

Megan said...

Good Gravy! Mean people suck! And what's the deal with the people who live next to you--they're not neighbors... Boo! :)

Betts Family said...

Oh my goodness you are really in the thick of things right now. . .I'm so sorry, let me know if you need anything and for the record if that is your strongest cuss word we might need to have a little lesson on venting "true anger driven cussing!" Glad M is okay and sorry about the car. . .hang in there!

Unknown said...

I don't comment much because I don't really know you. I'm Paul's cousin Peter. But I had to chime in and say that was all really lousy! I'm glad you survived it.

Becca said...

I am so sorry about that. That really stinks. You deserve a great big happy day.

Paige said...

That's really awful. Hopefully the last of the "very bad days" for a looong time.

Anonymous said...

Hey double check with your insurance company on the window being broken like that. It might be covered even with just liability. Our agent said ours would have covered it under the circumstances. Anyway worth a try! I am so glad E is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

this day makes me so mad for you!! no good, terrible, very bad day. so sorry - Im really speechless. Horrible. I know things could have been worse but it seems to me they were worse enough!