Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Science Fair


I always swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who did school projects for my kids, and M's recent science fair put me to the test! She was required to do a project and 3-fold board, along with a journal. Not an ordinary "volcano" project, mind you, but one that answered a question and included only one manipulated variable, some standard variables and one other variable that I can't remember now. Seriously, it took me 3 or 4 times of reading through the packet they sent home (15+ pgs) describing their expectations for this project...and I have a bachelor's degree in elementary education! It was a HUGE undertaking for my little eight year old, but she did it! OK, well, I helped, but she did every step!
Her hypothesis was that heat from the stove would pop popcorn with fewer "klunkers" than popcorn popped in the microwave or by the air popper. Do you think she was right???

4 comments:

Becca said...

wow that is an intense project. Looks like she did a good job. It also looks like you had a lot of fun with granpa!

Denise said...

So, if I fly you out will you help my kids with their science fair projects? Tell Maren she did a great job! Have a great day! Hugs, Denise

Anonymous said...

I guess it makes sense since the heat is coming from the bottom and thats where the clunkers end up...
So what was the answer??

curly girl said...

Her hypothesis was right...she only had 0-3 klunkers in her on-the-stove batches. Thank goodness we didn't have to figure out why it worked best, just that it did!