Thursday, November 20, 2008

Self Manager!

Just when we thought life couldn't get more exciting and wonderful, E was awarded her "Self-Manager" badge at school yesterday! It is quite a process to apply and be found worthy of the honor...you have to be consistently kind and responsible for your teacher to even begin to consider the possibility... Then, you have to take your application around to about 10 different adults in the school (music, library, recess, etc) plus get 2 of your friends to sign off on it, too. Once everybody agrees (including yourself, your teacher and the principal), your name gets read over the loudspeaker and you get to walk down to the office all by yourself to pick up your Self-Manager Badge!

As an official card wearing member of this exclusive club, you get endless privileges, like special seating at assemblies and running errands for your teacher and all sorts of other amazing honors. Better watch it, though, 'cause if you are not managing yourself, then your teacher or any other adult in the building can take it away from you, and will only give it back when you've earned it back! (Lord, help us survive that trauma if it ever happens!)

Little Miss E was the first in her class to earn her SM badge, and wow, is she hot stuff. I guess after library time, she was the only one who remembered to go back and ask the librarian for her signature, thus completing her application first. You snooze, you loose, guys! I'm sure there are other classmates who will join her soon.

The best part of all of this hoopla is that it's inspired us to come up with a Self Manager Award at HOME! For instance, I am pretty sure that a Self Manager would put her shoes away and hang up her coat (instead of tossing them on the floor) when she came home, aren't you? She would probably clear her place and pick up her socks without being reminded, too... Oh, the possibilities! Now I have to think up the reward privileges and we're all set. Any suggestions? ;)

5 comments:

gjacobsen said...

Good Job Elaina.....!

Grandpa has been trying all of his life to get one of those! No luck Yet!

Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Right on Smart girl!! Thats no easy task and you totally rocked it! How's that quote go..let them manage themselves blah blah blah- Joseph Smith..its a lovely quote (can't you tell?) This is an idea I am trying to figure out in our house too.

curly girl said...

I believe the quote is something like, "I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves." One of my dad's favorites, along with, "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be" (Lincoln) I appreciate the wisdom now, but as a 14 yr old, mmmmm, not so much! ;)

gjacobsen said...

I bet E's teacher wishes she could clone about 25 other children to be exactly like her. After spending about 13 years in kindergarten classes, there were few that would qualify for being a self manager. This Gramma is soooooo proud of E and glad she's my granddaughter!!!

Paige said...

That's a great idea! I could use that award around here too... the kids would love the badges but would they actually self-manage?