Friday, November 16, 2007

My Very First Post to My Very First Blog

I've been planning on putting this off until the holidays are over, but decided not to procrastinate that long, so as my first offical act as a 34 year-old, I am entering the blog-o-sphere! Bear with me as I learn how this all works...I am quite old, you know!

Yep, today was my birthday and I spent almost three hours of it in M's 3rd grade classroom hot gluing (paper) turkeys together and I now have four impressive burns to show for it. The evening was better, as the girls & P went out to fetch dessert & came back w/ it plus flowers, chocolate, and a cd. Then, we had dinner at Applebee's and ice cream pie at home. E was determined that this was to be a fancy occasion and wore a flower (small) from my bouquet tucked behind her ear and even a bit of lip gloss. But at the restaurant, she was almost in tears because it wasn't "fancy enough. I want to take you to someplace fancy-ish, Mommy!" I said, "What's not fancy about this place?" "The music. It's just not good." I diverted the tears by quickly suggesting that when we had dessert at home, we could light all the candles and play "fancy" music. She lit up *pun, pun* at that idea and totally took me up on it. Thanks, Jim Brickman, for making my b'day dessert so very fancy. The girls even hopped up from the table for some improvisational dancing. Reminded me of the "shows" we used to put on as kids whenever it was somebody's b'day. Tonight wasn't quite the same, though, since there were no boys in dance costumes...

Oh, my other big excitement was the package from my bro & SIL in NY. They just attended a chocolate convention & sent me chocolate covered potato chips (which were suprisingly good!) and an amazing dark chocolate bar w/cherries & almonds. Mmmmmmmm.

So, here's to my new blog and new year of life. When I was a kid, I used to like to double my age and think, "Wow! In twice my age, I'll be sixteen!" Today I realized that if I halved my age, I'd be 17. And, if I did double it, I'd be old enough to retire...technically, though I don't think I ever get to retire from my "job," do I? At least I'll more than qualify for the Senior Discount at Ross... Gotta have something to look forward to!

12 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray for you! You did it! I feel cool being the first comment. ;-) Congrats on your first entry. Now I've got to get on it too! I love the name. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures!
Love, Laura

Chrissy said...

Welcome to the blog world! Way to go! Can't wait to see pictures and hear all the great stories that come from those little curly girls!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! (You are so young!) Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. Have you and the girls read "Fancy Nancy" by Jane O'Connor?
Lisa :)

gjacobsen said...

I too like the name. Better than "thebaldoldmanandhisyounglookingwife.blogspot.com....which is what I was going to use. Looking forward to seeing pics and stuff.
Love, dad

Anonymous said...

what a perfect first blog- and happy birthday too!! Im looking forward to reading many more like it- your stories are always so great.
Choc covered chips sounds like it might be the perfect combo of sweet and salty :0- yum! Say hi to Paul and the curly girls- can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

ps- I just renewed my license and got upset when I realized that my next renewal date would put me at thirty SEVEN. 37 sounds a heck of a lot older than 33, doesn't it? Thats almost 40! haha

Dawn said...

Kristin~Happy Birthday! We miss your family here at Ashley Terrace. Glad that you are doing a blog so that we can keep up with what your family is doing. (o:

Dawn and Travis

Becca said...

Yeah, thanks for sharing your blog. It will be fun to be able to keep up with all of your great adventures. I am excited to for the post to come. Happy Birthday!

Eric said...

Your not supposed to out your pediatric dentist bro at the Chocolate Show. I had to go undercover in case I saw a patient. Do as I say, not as I do.

kelly said...

Happy Birthday Kristin!
it will be great keeping up with your family on the blog!

Denise said...

Kristin,
Yeah! I'm so glad you started a BLOG. You're such a clever and gifted writer. Hope you had a fantastic B-Day and I look forward to reading your future entries.
Love Ya, Denise

Restless Mom said...

It's about time!! Looking forward to having a convenient way to stay in touch! Post pics of your new pad!