I have to preface this by telling a story about myself...when I was four and went to the doctor's for my "school shots," I smacked the syringe as it was entering my behind (leg?) and forced all the vaccination into myself at once, giving myself an enormous goose-egg. In fact, one of my earliest childhood memories is of hobbling out to the car following that tantrum.
I should also preface this by remembering (without any fondness) that one of my nicknames growing up was "mellow," but not because I was such a calm, easy-going girl. No, it was short for MELO-DRAMATIC! In my defense, though, I did have 3 younger brothers, so I had plenty of opportunities to react!
OK, so today, the girls and I went for our flu shots. E was whimpering the whole way and clinging to my leg as we walked back to the lab. M bravely took hers first, though she did let out a yelp, which didn't help E at all. So, when it was her turn, she curled up in the corner and I had to wrestle to get her arm out of her shirt and couldn't even do that...just got some shoulder exposed (I really should've put her in a t-shirt!) and then I had to pick her up (no small feat at 48 lbs!), kicking and screaming, to sit on the exam table. I had to wrap my arms around her to pin her still for the shot...she yelled and screamed and cried...you get the picture.
The best part, was as we left to go get their sucker, she was LIMPING!!!
Yes, the vaccine was given in her shoulder.
Ah, never a dull moment. At least she gave the nurse and me a laugh (behind her back, of course)!
p.s. For the record, I also had my shot today and I didn't even flinch. Somewhere along the line, I did become "mellow," so maybe there's hope for my little girl, too?!
2 comments:
Emily had her 3 yr. checkup appt. the other day and did really well considering this was our first visit with this dr., and I was impressed with how well she did when the nurse gave her the Hep A shot....no crying, just a whimper and that was it! I praised her quite a bit because she was so good. Maybe it won't always be that way, but I can hold out hope!
Love you guys, L. ;-)
thats me just when Im trying to leave for the store, leave a friends house, leave for church...I lay awake at night trying to figure out a new way to make the screaming and wrestling go away. Im absolutely terrified of our next immunization appointment! Anyway...so what Im trying to say is- I totally and completely feel for you!! My favorite is the limping...that is classic. Maybe she was somehow channeling a younger "mello"-er you! haha
Post a Comment