Sunday, November 29, 2009

Finally - a Bona Fide 1st Grader!




Poor E had the auspicious distinction of being the only kid in her kindergarten class last year who didn't lose a single tooth. There are one or two others in her first grade class that also share that honor, and today, she was thrilled to leave that exclusive club behind!
Her bottom teeth have been wiggly for a long time now, but she hasn't been brave enough to really encourage them much. Yesterday, Grandma took the girls to the candy store on our way out of town for a treat to get them home (yes, that phrase about "a kid in a candy store" is giddily true). Both girls chose the same treat: a big sucker on a stick (not a circle shape, kind of a spiral). As my dentist brothers cringe, let me assure them that they brushed and flossed really, really extra well last night.
Anyway, those suckers took them about an hour to eat, and biting on it did just the trick to really loosen things up. She was a little traumatized going to bed last night b/c her big sis told her she'd probably swallow it in her sleep (gee, thanks, M). She made it through the night, only waking up once, and was highly distracted by it all morning. About halfway through Sunday School, I saw her little head peek thru the door, and I stepped out to see my very triumphant six year old, holding her tooth in her hand & jumping up & down. We went into the bathroom so she could see in the mirror for her very own self just how great she looked...like a real first grader! What's even better is that she twisted it out all on her own - P & I do NOT pull teeth - ick!
I know the Tooth Fairy has a lot on her mind. I hope she remembers to come by tonight!!!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

That is so cute. I'm glad she could finally join the club.

Katie said...

hooray! that's a big milestone! Maya's top two teeth have been wiggly for awhile, too, but she hasn't wanted to pull them out yet.