Saturday, April 11, 2009

Marathon

Two of my brothers just ran a marathon, and one of them blogged about it, if you're interested. I've been feeling pretty slackerish about this, until I realized a couple of things:

1. When they decided to run it, I bet neither of them thought, "Who will I get to watch the kids while I train?"

2. I hate running.

3. I "run" marathons quite regularly...I just don't get medals or nearly as sweaty. For instance, today's agenda:

1. Make bunny-shaped pancakes for breakfast - from scratch, with m&m eyes
2. Watch girls find their Easter baskets (he comes a day early at our house)
3. Get us all ready for the day and packed up
4. Take E to swimming lessons at the YMCA(9:50 am - 20 min drive there)
5. Walk track w/M
6. Join E in the pool for open swim
7. Get everybody dressed, send M over to her hip-hop class
8. Eat lunch, which was actually pretty healthy (turkey sandwiches, grapes, Pirate's Booty)
9. Drive to another town (30 min drive) for a roller skating birthday party
10. Help E, who had never skated, and M, who's skated twice before, (oh, my aching back and their poor little tushies) for 2 hours
11. Drive back to our town (30 min) to an Easter egg hunt
12. "Hunt," then deal w/a meltdown from the big sis, who is right inbetween caring that she didn't get very many eggs b/c they let the little kids go first, and knowing that she's a big kid and not wanting anybody's help or sympathy...
13. Over to friends' house for a BBQ. Calm M w/video games. Pray E doesn't get another black eye (this is where last week's incident happened). Watch everybody else w/really little kids (newborn - 4 yrs) and be REALLY REALLY glad I'm done with that!
14. Feed girls. Don't spill your juice, and sweetheart, that is ENOUGH jelly beans!
15. Come home (7:30 pm). Realize I haven't even had E try on her Easter dress (it's long - almost touches the floor! Oh well) and that she doesn't have any white church shoes. I hope last year's sandals will work (it might snow, anyway!) Oh, then I realize that I intended to take up the straps on M's dress, so I have her try it on (not her idea of a good time). Luckily, it just needed a tuck, so I can easily do that by hand. Jammies for girls, then plug 'em into a video! ;)
16. Bedtime for girls. I do dishes, a load of laundry (swim suits and towels), put some struessel bread in the oven for tomorrow morning, and treat myself to some amusement on facebook, and on here, of course.
17. Promise myself I'm going to bed soooooon!

PHEW! Tomorrow, of course, is Easter...I'll be busy at church and then we're having friends over for dinner - and my ham is still frozen in the fridge! At least dinner's not til 5...

4 comments:

Bri-onic Man said...

My marathon = good for blood pressure.
Yours = not so much . . .

Katie said...

I hear you! You deserve a medal, too!

Kristi said...

My husband and I were having a discussion like this the other day. Actually, I was discussing and he was listening! :) It went something like, "Honey, at the end of your 24 hour shift at the fire dept, you get to come home for a day off. For my 24 hour shift, I get to cook meals, wash your clothes, get the kids to school- whatever needs done. At the end of my 24 hour shift, I get to start another one just like it!"

Then he tried to make the point that their pagers go off at night. Gosh honey, kids always sleep all night, even when they are 9. I always get to sleep thru the night.

Right???

Betts Family said...

Bet you're thinking that a real marathon would actually be a heck of a lot easier than your day to day!