Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gettin' Me Through

If you serve in the Relief Society Presidency with me,
don't read this!
It's going to be my devotional at our next meeting! ;)
Each week, I type up an email newsletter for the sisters in our ward Relief Society. It has all the announcements and details, plus little messages from the presidency, birthdays for the month, etc. I include hypertext links to the upcoming lesson, as well as a summary of what was taught in RS last Sunday. It takes a little time, but I hope it helps all our sisters feel more included and aware of what's going on in RS, from the sisters who serve in the Primary and Young Women's organization to our sisters who can't make it to our meetings on Sunday. Anyway, the perk is that I get to review each lesson after it's been taught. Last week, there was a quote from the Prophet Joseph Smith that JUMPED out at me. It begged to be printed out and put somewhere I'll see it (fridge? mirror?) as well as recorded here so I won't forget it. He's referring to the early days of the Church, but as a wife and mom, it just screamed (OK, I know it's supposed to be a still, small voice, but it was pretty loud) at me. Here it is:
"It was clearly evident that the Lord gave us
power in proportion to the work to be done,
and strength according to the race set before us,
and grace and help as our needs required."
I don't know about you, but there are moments, hours, and days where I am not quite sure I'm up to all I'm asked to do (or that I have foolishly volunteered for)?! I am grateful for this reminder that the Lord will give me the power, strength, grace and help that I need as I try to accomplish the things He would have me do!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for that! I've been thinking a ton about that with all the things I have to do--err, I mean get to do--with/for the YW. The thought came to me to just get out of my own head with all its wants and to serve with a willing heart and a willing mind. The Lord will make up the difference in my shortcomings.

Alexis said...

Thanks for this quote- I also love it. Anything about God giving me the strength to run the race set before me... that really hits home with me. Thank goodness for Grace! I can't imagine life without it!

Anonymous said...

I totally and completely love this- thank you so much for the reminder!!