Wednesday, May 13, 2009

(Really) Young Love

A few weeks ago:

E: "I have a boyfriend."
Me: "You mean, you have a friend who is a boy?"
E: "No. I have a boyfriend."
Me: "Who?"
E: "T"
Me: "Do you get to play with or talk to him?" (I volunteer in her class & had never seen them interact)
E: "No. He's always busy with his friends, and I'm always busy with mine."
Me: "Does he know he's your boyfriend?"
E: "MOM! NO!"
Me: "So what do you do differently since he's your boyfriend?"
E: *big sigh* "I just look at him. He's *sigh, flutter eyes* very attractive."
(And, I DO have to agree...he IS one of the cutest little boys I've ever seen!)

Today, after picking up both girls from school, E brought up her "boyfriend" again.

Me: "So, are you actually talking or playing with him?"
E: "No. We're both too busy."
M: "You mean you think you have a boyfriend but you don't even talk to him?! How come he's your boyfriend?!"
E: "I just like to look at him."
M: "E, since I am your big sister, I am going to give you some big sister advice. Never trust boys. They may look like they're all handsome and everything but then once you get to know them, they might not be actually very nice or smart or anything. You REALLY need to get to know him before he's your boyfriend. Take it from me, and learn from my experience, or you'll have to learn the hard way."

E: "I like the hard way."

I busted out laughing at this point, but I also think we're in trouble here...

6 comments:

crockett family said...

Yes, I think you may have a roller coaster ride ahead with your girls. That whole conversation was just too cute!!

Rachael said...

That is hilarious. I can totally see E as a little romantic. She's too cute!

Denise said...

M strikes again! Too funny! E's description of her relationship with her boyfriend sounds frighteningly similar to my relationship with my husband, too busy to play or talk. I loved M's big sisterly advice, so wise for her young age. Love those girls!

Kristi said...

That's the best boyfriend ever! Too busy to spend time together!

I think you're safe (for a few more years anyway:)

Katie said...

Oh, that is priceless! So funny!!!

Alexis said...

So, did you ever ask M what exactly HER experience was? What a cute exchange.