Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Love Letter

Dear MareBear,

After you read yesterday's post, you had mixed feelings. You said you appreciated the compliments, but that you kinda wished I'd just written about how much I love you. Well, that is easy-cheesy to do, so here you go...

Dearest Child,
You have no idea how much my heart longed to bring you here to Earth to join our family. Daddy and I wanted you so much for so very long. Holding you for the first time...even after 2.5 hrs of pushing and constant vomiting...was the best moment of my life. I can't describe the elation & amazement I felt! After all the medications & surgeries & lost babies & illness...there you were! Perfect. You just looked up at me so sweetly like, "Oh. There you are." And don't even get me started on those incredible eyelashes. Who know babies didn't all come with mascara on? I sure didn't...

You instantly became my sidekick and I had no idea what I did with my time before you came. I tried really hard to learn all I could about the best ways to take care of  you & to nurture you. We went on walks, to mom & me classes at the hospital, to storytime, and we sang and read books and sang and read some more books. When I think of your youngest years, the word "delight" springs to mind. OK, and "sleep deprivation." That, too.

You were such a sponge. When you were 4, Gramma J used to "practice" teaching you stuff that she was going to teach her kindergarteners. She would often tell you, "You're not supposed to know that!" and we'd all laugh.

You were so cute with Elaina. I was worried how you would react to her, after being an "only" for almost 4 years. You didn't pay her a whole lot of attention at first, but boy, once she started laughing at you, you were hooked! You quickly slid into the role of Chief Entertainer, and I don't think you've ever slid out of that role!

You are the light of my life, dear one. You are one incredibly talented girl, and I have taken the occasion of your 12th birthday to step back for a minute and go, "Wow." You are by far the coolest kid I've ever known, and like I've told you before, I don't just love you because I'm your mom, but I honestly, truly, genuinely LIKE you.

You are the best.

I am so blessed to be your momma. You were totally & completely worth the wait. And the puking. And the sleepless nights.

One request: if we decide to continue allowing you to get older & grow up, will you please promise me that we'll always like each other?! We may not always like the choices that the other makes, but I can promise you that I will always adore your intelligent, funny, kind, spiritual heart.

Happy 12th Birthday, Miracle Girl!
Love to Infinity & beyond, beyond, beyond,
MOM

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Happy, Happy Birthday. Wow, you are 12 years old. Have so much fun in Young Womens. We loved seeing all of you and spending the day with you. What sweet posts about your girls. Miss you!