I promise I will stop posting things people say about my age, getting older, etc etc. But this one...
I was visiting outside our home with our church's young missionaries yesterday afternoon. Our neighbor girl came out to walk her dog & I introduced them. After she left, they asked, "How old is she?" I said, "A freshman - 14 or 15, I guess." The newest Elder said, "Oh, wow. For a second there I thought you meant a freshman in college. High school just seems like such a long time ago."
I couldn't help but laugh. I mean, really? A whole year, maybe two, has gone by since you graduated?! I said, "Oh yeah. Tell me about it. I bet you were born the year I graduated from high school." And yeah, pretty much, they were. This same Elder looks at me, squints his eyes and says, "How old are you?!" "36." "36?! Wow! I would have never guessed that! You hide your age really well!"
What. The. Heck?! I couldn't do anything but laugh and make a joke about how I just act immature so I seem younger. But really? Just how old & decrepit am I supposed to look at 36? I wasn't offended - it was just funny how your perspective changes as we age. I remember being younger and hearing someone died at 65 and thinking, "Well, at least they had a long, good life." Now, I gasp - that's way too young to die! So I get where he's at in his head...but it still made me laugh!
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean. When we first moved here, I was barely 23, and we were the youngest ones in our branch. I had to hang out with the 30-year-olds, and I felt like such a baby next to them, lol. Now I am a mere 6 months shy of 30 myself, and I still feel young and immature, lol.
I always love your stories.
Post a Comment