Friday, October 2, 2009

Conversations at Bedtime

As she's going to bed

M: Mom, I wish I had a big huge agenda that would tell me everything that was ever going to happen in my life. I would be really happy with that.

10 minutes later, up from bed...

M: Mom, do you know what I hate?
Me: Garbonzo beans?
M: I don't even know what those are, but I'm sure if I tried them, I would hate them. No, what I hate is when I lay awake at night worrying about things.
Me: What are you worrying about?
M: That bad things are going to happen to me.
Me: Well, I can promise you something. During your lifetime, bad things ARE going to happen to you. But, I promise you that good things will happen, too. So there. (I got her giggling and back to bed...)

How's that for a compassionate mom?! I wish I could promise that nothing bad would ever happen, but then I might be raising yet another self-entitled princess girl who would be stunned and incompaciated when she faced life's inevitable trials. I wonder how many trials I would have weathered better in my life if I hadn't held on to the myth that bad things only happen to bad (deserving) people? Somehow, expecting trials and knowing that the Lord will see me through them has deepened my faith and increased my day to day peace - ironic, huh? I think it's about letting go of the controls (cue the "Jesus, Take the Wheel" song).

OK, second conversation, this one with E:

Me: E, this looks like granola bar in your room. Is this from today? (We'd had a huge discussion about no-food-in-your-room when she had a friend over)
E: Oh, I forgot (and other stammering excuses)
Me: Yeah, I don't think so. Well, your consequence for breaking the rule is that you won't be able to sleep in your tent in your room afterall (which I knew she'd only last 3 minutes in anyway before she was in her comfy bed).
E: *dissolves into tears* "I need a hug!"
Me: (I hug her a little bit, but not much. She is, afterall, in trouble. She's still blubbering, and I say) Keeping food out of your room is an important rule and we discussed it a lot today. I am disappointed that you didn't choose to follow the rule. We will leave the tent up tomorrow and perhaps you can try again tomorrow night.
E: *inbetween sobs* I JUST WANT YOU TO SAY NICE WORDS! (At this point, I walk away b/c I'm laughing and I don't want her to see. And, I don't want to encourage the performance to continue, either)

She is such a tenderheart who just melts at the slightest disapproval or correction. Makes it interesting to parent her! I do think her "nice words" response is pretty funny...don't we all want nice words when we're busted?! :) I often thank God that He sent her sensitive little soul to our house, and not one where yelling, scolding, swearing, threatening, and physical punishment are part of our parenting plan. She would be one crushed little spirit in a home like that, not to mention how much worse her colitis could potentially be (stress aggrevates it). And then my heart aches for all the kids who DO live in a home like that...there are far, far too many of them, and I send up a prayer for them and hope that somehow their parents will repent and change, or that the other adults in their lives can see the problems and do all they can to rebuild and help those children (and I include myself in that group of adults)!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

My oldest does the same thing at bedtime that yours does. But his is usually about a game, or something like that. He will come out of his room 5 or 6 times until he finally gets out his entire train of thought and goes to sleep.

My baby is my sensitive one too! Funny!

Alexis said...

These are great stories- thank you for sharing. You are a great mom. I sure do appreciate how someone else handles disciplining.